The Vidzeme Branch Line Company (Liflandskoje obschestvo
Podjeznih putej), construction of the Stukmani - Valka line
began from both ends of the line simultaneously in 1898.
Temporary traffic on the Valka - Alūksne line began in 1902.
Since July 1903 there were two trains running daily along
the entire length of the line. The official opening ceremony
for the 210 km Stukmani - Valka line took place on August
15th 1903. In course of time railway line became shorter -
in 1916, the Russian army converted the Stukmani - Gulbene
line to broad gauge. In 1970, the Valga - Ape line was
closed, and traffic between Ape and Alūksne ended in 1973.
One railway station (Gulbene) and 9 railway stops are
officially approved for the operation on the Gulbene -
Alūksne line. Most significant of them are Kalniena,
Stāmeriene, Paparde, Umernieki and Alūksne where historical
station buildings have survived. Railway stops Birze,
Pūriņi, Dunduri and Vējiņi had erected during Soviet period,
starting from 1945.