Restoration of Gr-319 class steam
Restoration of the Gr-319 class steam engine, which has been leased by the Lavasaare Museum Railway, proceeded from 2007 until 2014. Locomotive Gr-319 built by German company "Orenstein & Koppel" in 1951. Since early 1990-ties this engine was a part of rolling stock collection located in Lavasaare Museum.
During the restoration the steam engine and its tender were fully dismantled, parts cleaned, renovated and reassembled. Missed parts were restored according to factory drawings. The original braking system and electrical installations also were completely renovated according to drawings.
During the renovation of the tender’s frame specialists of the Gulbene depot had to relearn the method of riveting.
The most complicated were refurbishing of wheel sets as well as adjusting rolling parts. Lot of time was spent for restoration of the boiler, especially for exchange defective rivets.
Local specialists in Gulbene depot carried out almost the entire job of restoring the steam engine.
Presentation and naming of newly restored steam engine Gr-319 “Ferdinands” took place at Gulbene depot in 13th May 2014.
Project supported by: